It’s a NEW YEAR, which means everyone is thinking about one thing – their resolutions.
Call me a realist, but I get kind of annoyed with the new year. I can hear my mom’s voice in my head saying, “It’s just another day…”
Anyway, I still think about my goals for the year. I decided to make a list of things I DON’T want to do this year. I’m sure there are more, but it’s just what was on my mind, and I didn’t want to say I’m going to do something that I might not follow through with…it just sets me up for failure! 🙂 So here goes.
I DON’T WANT TO…
1. Talk about people. I read Scripture over and over about how the tongue is destructive, our lives should be holy and blameless, and how we shouldn’t judge others (read James for a real kick in the pants)…so I really need to watch it.
2. Waste time. I make lists of things to do (in my head, on paper, on my phone…you name it). However, I get overwhelmed easily, so I usually spend a lot of time trying to decide what I need to do first. I also want to take advantage of my time with my kids and husband – which means no TV, not on my phone, etc. I need to work on this.
3. fall off the Weight Watchers wagon. The holidays were hard, and I wasn’t great at counting my points…in fact, a few pounds crept back on. Thankfully, they are coming back off, and I just hope I can stick to the plan even if I slip up every once in a while. I have to keep my focus on the prize – getting healthy! I also don’t want to stop exercising – it’s easy to get into a rut and be lazy! I don’t want that to happen!
4. do things for the wrong reason. I want to be authentic, real, and passionate about things that truly matter to me…and I don’t want to spend time focusing on things that are not what God has intended for my life. I know it’s hard to decipher His plan sometimes, but I really want to make sure I am following His lead and not my own…not what I think would work best.
5. neglect people! I heard a Steven Curtis Chapman song today about how we have all these things going on – seminars, things at church, etc., but it all comes down to LOVE…and isn’t that the truth? No matter what we do for church or for ourselves, if we aren’t loving, it doesn’t matter. Again – read James for a kick in the pants…he talks about how if we have faith in Jesus Christ but we don’t show it in our actions, it means nothing. Well, Jesus taught us to love others. It’s so easy – especially in my blessed life – to focus on myself and my kids and ignore others. I need to be more mindful of the needs around me – maybe it’s an ear to listen or a shoulder to cry on, even. I am even thankful (today – haha – it might change) for social media (blogs, Facebook, Twitter) because I can connect with some when I wouldn’t otherwise.
Well, there are five things I don’t want to do this year. We’ll see how I do! I’m not perfect, that’s for sure, but hopefully I can work on keeping these things real.
On a lighter note… check out this fun reading for New Year’s resolutions! Pretty funny – and true!